Villa del Conte, the Caranto and the history with Venice.
A bit less than 30 kilometers north of Padova, in the wide area called Alta Padovana, on the edge of the well-preserved roman grid plan of Camposanpiero, you will find the town of Villa del Conte.
The beautiful city of Venice is almost the same distance away from this small town, that is to say 30 kilometers of densely-populated plain divides the two cities, but the connection between them is shorter!
A few steps in the past and a look under-earth… or under water, show that both of them lie on an identical subsoil: the Caranto.
From Latin caris “stone”, Caranto is the local name for a layer of very hard and solid soil, with a color ranging from light brown to light grey with ochre streaks. This is a sediment made of clay that is formed by silt and sand pasted together, which originated in the late Pleistocene era, in the Quaternary period.
During prehistory, where now there is the veneto-friulana plain, there was the sea; the clay which forms the Caranto is the residue deposit of the rivers that flowed there in the past time; after the sea water drew back, the deposit was exposed to the air and it dried off, until it hardened. In the following thousands years, the Caranto was buried once again in the sea and covered with sea sediments that were rich in muddy organic material; this material still covers the bottom of the Laguna Veneta.
There, in the delicate balance of one of the most fragile landscape of north-eastern Italy, the Venice Laguna, the Caranto works as a solid base for the implantation of the sticks that the ancient venetian builders inserted to support the city’s buildings.
An odd theory lead us to think that those builders, but also the nobles who made Venice a prestigious city, used to combine their meals with wines coming from the inland: sometimes grown in the Caranto’s vineyards!
History confirms the connection between Villa del Conte and the venetian nobles, since the Morosini family lived there from the second half of the 15th century, and their palace (now Palazzo Carlon) was built in 1509. The family power turned out to be a real territorial hegemony during the three centuries they lived in the Alta Padovana area; this led the household towards the possession of over 500 land fields just in the Villa del Conte area at the beginning of the 17th century: many of the fields had to be grown with vineyards and this is proven from the various wine dispatches from Villa del Conte to Francesco Morosini (a Venetian official 1619-1694), a close relative of the nobles from Villa del Conte.
The Morosini’s hegemony was shared with the noble family of the Alighieri Serego counts who, from 1500 to 1904 reigned on the territory and possessed over 700 farmed fields.
In 1904 the family made over most of its property to the local laborers. Among the cadastral maps at issue, there was a 30.000 sq.m plot in the east, placed not far for Villa del Conte city center, grown with vineyards since centuries for the excellent quality of the wine given by the local vineyards.
It is on those lands, undivided for over 5 centuries, that Più Rosso was born.